What class am I in? (RallyCross edition)

RallyCross classes and rules discussion.

Moderators: mjcmini, omahasubaru

What class am I in? (RallyCross edition)

Postby omahasubaru » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:30 pm

If you want help classing your car, this is the place.

Option 1. Download the SCCA rule book from scca.com now and find out what class your car falls under. RallyCross Rulebook

Option 2. List out your entire list of mods that you have done to your car and have one of the more experienced members reply back in this thread and help you correctly classify your car. Remeber ANYTHING that didn't come in your car from the factory is considered a mod. Eg: Clutches, SS brakelines, intake, tranny swap, head porting, engine internals, batteries, short shifter, bodykits, non factory LSDs, springs, shocks, ECU reflash, engine management, even tire width and aftermarket antennas will put you in a different class.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About RallyCross

As the SCCA defines it source: scca.com

What is RallyCross?
RallyCross is the most widespread and readily accessible form of extreme dirt motorsport in the Sports Car Club of America, and the perfect place to see if you have what it takes to powerslide your way to victory. Imagine a scaled down version of a rally stage laid out on a non-paved plot of land where the course is delineated by traffic cones instead of trees or rocks. The entry fees and equipment requirements are considerably less than those necessary to enter any other forms of performance rally, so in most locations one need only arrive at event registration with a sound, hardtop vehicle and the entry fee. Many SCCA Regions have helmets to loan and will assist the first time competitor with entering the appropriate class, making their way through technical inspection and finding their way around the course. Best of all, it's great fun!

Rally, on A Budget
RallyCross is the most cost effective way to gauge a driver's interest and aptitude for "doing it in the dirt." RallyCross classes are tailored for local entrants but usually categorize cars according to number of driven wheels, engine capability and the style of tires mounted. Unlike Solo, a similar competition staged on paved surfaces, where an entrant's ranking is based on the single fastest run, RallyCross competitions are usually judged on the total of multiple runs.

Be sure to find a RallyCross near you and try your hand at the most exciting entry-level autosport on the planet!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A great Promotional video done by a member of CORX. http://vimeo.com/19668532
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Re: What class am I in? (RallyCross edition)

Postby Flyboy888 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Hey guys, im very excited to have found this website and have been wanting to get into rallycross for a while, but have been unable to go because of them being too far from me, until now. I live in St. Joseph, MO and 2 hours away is deffinitly close enough that I plan on running my first one in June :D

I dont wanna crowd this topic but i downloaded the rulebook and seem to understand it quite well, i did have a question however.

I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy that im pretty sure is going to be in the PA class due to a few mods (intake, exhaust, headers). I had bought a WRX hood scoop from a friend and was going to functionally install it in my car. I was wondering tho because its an aftermarket part if it would disqualify me. I didn't see much in the rulebook about body modifications. Thanks for the help guys and i hope to see you in June!! I'll probably be the only 3rd gen legacy out there :P
Flyboy888

Postby marti » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Welcome to the forums! You're right about the the mods you listed putting you into rally prepared. However, unless the WRX scoop is a listed accessory to the legacy, it would technically put you into rally modified per the following rule:

6.2.D.20. Addition of rear wings and hood scoops/vents is allowed provided that
either 1) it is a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a
US model of the vehicle or 2) it is listed in the vehicle manufacturer's US
accessory catalog for that vehicle for normal highway use. Parts must be
installed as directed by the manufacturer. Exact replicas (including weight)
from alternate sources are also permitted.

Hope to see you in June, there's going to be some big rallycross events in the region that you wont want to miss!
85 BMW 325e
#47 Rally Modified Rear Wheel Drive
marti

Postby Flyboy888 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 am

Hey thanks for the warm welcome! I appreciate the info, I think i might just wait a while to put the scoop on. I don't wanna be in too high of a class for my first run lol So I here there's a big weekend in June? With a rally school? What all is involved in that?
Flyboy888

Postby marti » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Here's the link to forum thread the last time we did this: http://www.nrscca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2094

If you want seat time, this is it - depending on class size, you could end up with 50 - 60 passes on course for the whole weekend!
85 BMW 325e
marti

Postby Flyboy888 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:50 pm

That all sounds great! Im deffinitly interested in the school, sounds like an awesome rallycross weekend!! I'll have to get a hotel in Omaha and stay the whole weekend :) I however had another rule related question i couldnt find on my own. I was wanting to use an off the shelf octain booster. I found the rule about the fuel having to be any readily availible pump gas, but i didn't see anything about fuel additives. Anyone help?
Flyboy888

Postby marti » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:54 pm

I dont think it would be an issue since you can run E85 in stock class, and thats basically 100 octane fuel. It looks like the current rule on fuel is getting change to add in biodiesel, and they're also crossing out the "at the pump" part. To be sure though I'd message Jerry Doctor, he's our divisional safety steward and would be able to give you an official ruling on this.
85 BMW 325e
marti

Postby omahasubaru » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:10 am

Welcome!

FWIW, the baja turbo hood is a direct bolt on to your car and looks much more classy than a wrx scoop fitted on there.

I know, as I have one on my 2002 Legacy ;) PM me if you want more info.
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Postby Flyboy888 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:09 am

Lol yeah, baja turbo hood would be ideal, but I got the scoop for cheap so, lol Plus I seem to have a lot of trouble finding the hood for less than $400. But in reguards to the rallycross, wouldnt the hood put me in MA class?
Flyboy888

Postby omahasubaru » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:02 pm

that price seems way high for any OE subaru hood.
hacking the hood up just for a scoop is a bad idea, imho. I've seen one guy who grafted a '11-12 WRX scoop on a 3rd gen Legacy that looked good.
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Postby Flyboy888 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:53 pm

omahasubaru wrote: I've seen one guy who grafted a '11-12 WRX scoop on a 3rd gen Legacy that looked good.

Matty2Hotty? I know he did one that was amazing. Im also on legacygt.com and sl-i.net as well. I'd really like to no cut up my hood so i might just keep an eye out for a baja turbo hood. Lemme know if ya find one. Even better if its in black :P
Flyboy888

Postby omahasubaru » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:13 am

new ones come in a black primer coat ;)
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Postby Flyboy888 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:13 pm

lol i guess they do huh.
Flyboy888

Postby Chris_G » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Hello every one,
Sorry to bump and old thread. I'm new and looking the dab my toes into Rally X.
I have a 91 Volvo 240 that I'm about to retire from daily road use and I'd like to add Rally X as a hobby. I am fairly certain it falls into the Modified Rear wheel class with the following mods

Chassis:
- Strut to Fire wall braces - after market reproductions of OE braces
- Lower sub frame Braces - after market

Brakes:
SS brake lines with OEM calipers and Pads

Suspension:
B&G Springs - Stock mounting configuration
IPD Swaybars 25mm/25mm F/R
IPD Adjustable Torque Rods with Polly Bushings
Dampers - TBD (need replaced)

Wheels/Tires:
Stock 185/70R14 Snow tires on OEM wheels

Engine: This is where I think it moves from Prepared to Modified
The stock engine was/is a Volvo B230F non turbo motor but it is Nearly dead at 300,000 ish miles with oil leaks and a cracked head and barely hanging on.
The engine I'm rebuilding for it is a B230FT Turbo version of the original motor from a 94 Volvo 940. It will be run with the stock turbo, computers, intercooler and piping from the donor car. Yes it all fits. Gotta love Volvo's Modular designs and electronics.
Stock cooling system except added oil cooler from donner car

Transmission:
Stock M47 5 speed manual

Rear end:
Stock open differential until I get around to welding it or installing an Ausilocker limited slip.

Am I right that it is in Modified? and with that is a roll cage required? I think it is recommended but not required. Correct?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris_G

Return to RallyCross Classes/Rules