Trucks?

New to RallyCross? Get your questions answered here!

Moderators: mjcmini, omahasubaru

Trucks?

Postby dmtactical » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm a truck person, and I can realistically only afford to own one vehicle. I've been to a few rally and solo events but never participated because I don't have a vehicle that I can enter. I inquired about this a long time ago, and it's my understanding that the Nebraska region isn't too fond of trucks due to an accident some years ago. I understand, I'm sure that doesn't look good and maybe endangers the sport. However I don't recall seeing anything that said trucks were completely prohibited. I'm in the market for a new vehicle and would like to get another truck so my question is, what would it take to get a truck into rallycross, if that is possible? It would be a 2wd 4 cylinder, probably something Japanese and older than 1997. Would lowering or wider wheels do the trick?

I can get a car but would like to avoid that if possible. I'm not really a speed freak or highly competitive. I enjoy hanging out at the events but it's pretty awkward to not have a vehicle to run.
dmtactical

Re: Trucks?

Postby Jerry Doctor » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 am

Sorry it took so long to respond to your question.

The "Is this vehicle legal for RX?" question does not have a very simple answer, I'm afraid. This is what the rule book says:

"A RallyCross event is open to any fixed-roof production based vehicle (including convertibles with a factory hardtop attached, targa-types with factory panel in place, t-tops with factory panels in place) that can pass safety inspection. If the Event Chairman after consultation with the Event Safety Steward determines at his discretion that a vehicle cannot safely negotiate the course, it may be excluded."

As you can see, there is nothing there that specifically excludes a truck from competition. There is, however, that bit about the discretion of the Event Chairman/Safety Steward. When I'm acting as the safety steward and I'm faced with deciding whether or not a particular vehicle should be allowed to compete, my concern is almost always about the possibility of a roll over. The truck accident that you refer to involved a Ford Ranger (very narrow track) with 4 wheel drive (very tall). This is a very unstable situation with respect to possible rollovers. In Solo there is a rule that the vehicle should not be taller than the average track width. Although we don't have that rule in RX I have frequently used it as a guideline in making my decision.

If I have advanced warning that something questionable may be showing up at an event I'll usually get on the internet and see if rollover test data is available. (Stability testing, not damage resulting from a rollover.) And there have been times when based on a conversation with the driver, the surface conditions and course design, I've gone ahead and let a vehicle run with the warning that I would be carefully watching his runs and the first time I was scared he was done. I let a Grand Cherokee SRT8, for example, run on that basis without incident.

So, can you run a truck? I'm afraid the best answer I can give you is maybe... with the additional warning that just because you were allowed to run it at one RX does not guarantee you'll be able to run it at another.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but sometimes life is complicated.

Doctor
Jerry Doctor

Re: Trucks?

Postby dmtactical » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Thank you for the reply. That makes sense, I just wanted to ask again since I didn't know for sure. It looks like I will be able to get myself a car, I don't NEED a truck I just like them.
dmtactical

Return to RallyCross Novice Help