Winter projects anyone?

Discussions not related to any of the other categories.

Moderators: mjcmini, omahasubaru

Winter projects anyone?

Postby kallikak » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 am

Just some photos of what started out as a timing belt job and is snowballing.

As I bought it. 1987 325is. 172k miles. $1000. Getting started on this was a little slow going. I had to do a couple engine swaps in other cars that sidetracked me.

Looks nicer than it is. It needs a few things.

So I bought a parts car.

Removed everything I could from it...

The guy from U Pull It said he'd never hauled away a shell before.

This is why I bought a house...

I decided it would be easier to change the sparkplugs if the engine was out of the car.

Came out nicely.

A previous owner bypassed the coolant lines to the throttlebody.

Somehow, this is progress.

Mike White

1994 Mazda Miata
73 STS

2000 Nissan Sentra
73 SF
kallikak

Re: Winter projects anyone?

Postby sportsterdoug » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:23 am

It won't be done by spring, but I like a challenge.
sportsterdoug

Postby kallikak » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Not bad. You're taking that one down a little farther than me. Interesting brake pedal...is that a semi-automatic gearbox car?

Ran a leakdown test on both engines. Numbers were pretty marginal but slightly better in the engine from the red car. I was planning on rebuilding it, but decided against it after pricing rings and bearings, and considering that I plan a 24-valve swap of some variety in the future.

This engine was remarkably clean in the head. I was told it was "rebuilt" at some point. Everything looks clean and the head at least was sealing beautifully during the leakdown. I'm just going to replace gaskets and drop it in the car. Debating doing the front seals...no signs of leaking, but it's not going to be any easier when the car is back together. Of course I'll do the TB/WP now.

Took the injector rail out...much harder with the later clips than the individual connectors on the earlier car. This was hard enough to do outside the car...I can't imagine doing it in the car.

This week I'll be preparing and cleaning the engine compartment, including swapping out the steering rack for the one from the red car (no leaky), PS delete and ABS delete, re-routing brake lines, etc. I'm sure those things take me out of STX. Oh well. I really don't want or need ABS or PS in this car...it will just be a DD/track toy,
Mike White

1994 Mazda Miata
73 STS

2000 Nissan Sentra
73 SF
kallikak

Postby kallikak » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:39 pm

Dropped the front subframe and started cleaning up the 25 years of power steering fluid and general grime from the engine bay. Also took the ABS unit out, along with the brake booster and master cylinder. Booster is getting painted. I'm going to next figure out how I'm going to route brake lines as I will not be retaining ABS.

Mike White

1994 Mazda Miata
73 STS

2000 Nissan Sentra
73 SF
kallikak

Postby sportsterdoug » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 pm

[quote="kallikak"]Not bad. You're taking that one down a little farther than me. Interesting brake pedal...is that a semi-automatic gearbox car?
It WAS an auto-stick car, now a 5 speed.
I'm actually in the re-assembly stage for the chassis, new brakes, bushings, bearings, ball joints, tie rods, etc. etc.
sportsterdoug

Return to Anything Goes