1965 Oldsmobile F-85 Deluxe Sedan

Street legal vehicles only. Please remove the thread when the vehicle is sold. Thank you.

Moderators: mjcmini, omahasubaru

1965 Oldsmobile F-85 Deluxe Sedan

Postby kallikak » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Up for sale is my 1965 Olds F-85.

330 CID V8
2-speed "Jetaway" automatic transmission
Manual steering (factory) , manual 4-wheel drum brakes.
Approx 98k miles. As far as I know or can tell, those are original miles.

This is a great survivor and a wonderful car to cruise around in. It's a great way to get into something old and cool for the price. I bought it in June 2015 and have put approximately 2000 miles on it. I have always garaged it and don't drive it if there's even a chance of rain. There is no rust on the body. It is remarkably solid, especially for the age. Body, trunk, floors, all solid. All glass is good; no cracks. All windows work. Chrome is good with minor age pitting. It was repainted by the last owner in 2014 or so. It's not the best paint job in the world, but it is great driver-quality. It is slightly more blue than the original color; personally I think it looks better than the original color. I've done a few mechanical things to get it reliable:

New cooling system, including radiator, trans cooler lines, all hoses, water pump, belt, new heater core (great heat)
Rebuilt carb
Fixed some minor electrical issues, specifically the horn contact buttons and the wiring to the dome lights. All electricals work with the exception of the windshield washer. I don't drive it in bad weather so I haven't had priority to fix that.
New vacuum advance unit for the distributor, base timing set at 7.5 BTDC. Previous owner replaced all other ignition components.
Brakes serviced by previous owner. I've adjusted/inspected the drum brakes and they work as well as four-wheel manual drums are ever going to work. Yes, they are manual drum brakes. If you've never driven an old car with manual brakes, they require a tremendous amount of force. That's just how they are. Being a GM A-body, there are bolt-on power disk systems you can buy if you wish. All told I'm confident enough in its reliability and road-worthiness that I've taken it as far as Kansas City without issue and would drive it on a road trip right now. Cruises at interstate speeds effortlessly.

Ok so for the bad. The front seat is badly torn in the driver's seat area. I can't find repro seat covers that match, so you can choose to either leave it as I have, have the seats professionally redone, or whatever. The rear parcel shelf is weather-beaten after 51 years. The driver's side armrest is torn. The 175-width tires that the previous owner put on are fairly new but I would definitely gone a little bigger, but they're fine for normal street/interstate driving. There is no outside mirror; I do have a repro mirror from Original Parts Group, however the car had an aftermarket mirror (generic from years ago) and the holes were drilled in the wrong spot for the OEM mirror. You'd have to fill those screw holes and drill new ones in the right location if you really wanted the OEM mirror installed. The rear driver's side door lock doesn't lock; I don't daily-drive it so I never bothered to investigate that.

Interior is original and in great condition for the age, with the exceptions mentioned earlier. Dash is perfect. Headliner is perfect. Original AM radio works well but the tuning dial sticks a little. Original owners manual and factory service manual included. Original jack included with an ancient bias-ply spare that I wouldn't trust.

Link to Craigslist ad for pictures

https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/6015670469.html
Mike White

1994 Mazda Miata
73 STS

2000 Nissan Sentra
73 SF
kallikak

Re: 1965 Oldsmobile F-85 Deluxe Sedan

Postby kallikak » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Car is sold. Please delete
Mike White