Brakes.....

Technical discussion related to autocrossing.

Moderators: mjcmini, omahasubaru

Brakes.....

Postby nwmsspecv » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:09 pm

For those who know I have 4-piston brembo's on the front of my car. I have been throwing around the idea of swaping the brakes from a Non-brembo spec-v the only thing I would need to switch is the caliper and rotor. My idea is that I could run 16x7.5 or 16x8 wheels and have more room for more rubber. Also there are more rotor options and brake pads I can use. Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck Rudisill
02 Isuzu Trooper..4-sale....
Looking for a Honda Civic Wagon
nwmsspecv

Postby omahasubaru » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:29 am

Is this overall package lighter?

If so I'd go for it. I take it your goal is to run smaller diameter wheel/tire combo as well right?

That would definitley be a good thing for your car. Now if only you could find some 16x8" and some competitive 245/40-16 tires :p

Make sure you can get the tire you want in the size you want before you make the switch.

IMHO... you should go 17x8" and run a 235/40 Hankook or Yoko.
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Postby nwmsspecv » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:10 pm

I would save some weight, but I am not sure how much. I am still considering
running 17x 8's, but for some reason I like the look of the smaller wheel on the sentra. And the brakes would be cheaper, by a long way. I guess I need to do some Checking around to find a wrecked spec-v.

Chuck
Chuck Rudisill
02 Isuzu Trooper..4-sale....
Looking for a Honda Civic Wagon
nwmsspecv

Postby omahasubaru » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:06 am

nwmsspecv wrote:I would save some weight, but I am not sure how much. I am still considering
running 17x 8's, but for some reason I like the look of the smaller wheel on the sentra. And the brakes would be cheaper, by a long way. I guess I need to do some Checking around to find a wrecked spec-v.

Chuck

If looks is your goal, then you're in the wrong sport! :p

It shoudl be about what's fastest. I would venture to bet that the smaller brakes would be worth the savings in weight and free up some cash for better tires. I also think a 17x8 with 235/40 Hankook RS2 Z212 or Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 would also be a big improvement for you.

IIRC you picked up or were going to pick up some 235/40 RS2's anyway, so do that with a light 17x8 or just stick with your 17x7.5" for now and just try and lighten the car where you can legally and I can help you dial it in a bit next year (if you're still planning to get camber plates).
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Return to Solo Technical Help