Roll Cage.

Technical discussion related to autocrossing.

Moderators: mjcmini, omahasubaru

Roll Cage.

Postby Jared » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:55 am

I was looking at a few different options open to me and I was wanting to do a roll cage in my car. I dont know if you are familiar with Autopower Cages, but they make alot of cages for alot of different cars.

I was wondering if will bump me classes out of SM, whether not there is any technical issues with it (running a harness moving me classes, unable to run a harness off it, etc), or whether I can have one in the car.

Here is the cage I was looking at.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Jared Hansen

01 Acura Integra
Jared

Postby omahasubaru » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:07 am

looks more like a roll bar to me.

A cage is legal for SM. Check your rules though as you can't remove the interior to accomodate it, but you can cut/trim the minimum amount to install it.

BTW, sent you a PM about another matter.
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Postby Jared » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:46 am

Sweet, I think I get it.

So I can lets say take a hole saw and drill a hole where the rear bars would attach?

Would I be able to run a solid camera mount on the one that runs straight across?
Jared Hansen

01 Acura Integra
Jared

Postby omahasubaru » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:01 pm

check the rules, it's all in there.

Secure camera mounts would be fine... but you don't need a roll bar just to get a secure camera mount.
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Postby dfink » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Don't rely on my memory but I don't think you can cut holes to mount the roll bar. A bar may be mounted either with bolts or welded. A bar is 4 attachment points. A cage (more than 4 attachment points can only be bolted. A harness can also be used. If I remember the rules at this level these are both just suggestions and are permitted and encouraged in every class including stock.
As stated read and re-read the rules.
David Fink
85 Porsche 911 Cab
Cabriolet Racing And Performance
Put some C.R.A.P on and go.....
dfink

Postby analog74 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:31 am

Hey Jared,

I see this isn an old post, but if you haven't followed through on this yet, you might consider having a bar or cage built locally. Lael, at Lael's Performance and repair just built a cage for Dave Webb's ITB Golf as well as another in a Honda Del Sol NASA Honda Challenge car and they were impressive.
You can not only get a better fit with a custom built bar or cage, but you can have some input on the design and by the time you figure shipping he might even be cheaper. His shop phone is 423-3777. Great guy to deal with.
Eric Gregory
Bare Bones Racing
#6 ITB GTI
#38 ITB Golf (RIP)
analog74

Postby Jared » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 pm

Sorry man, dont even have a car anymore.
Jared Hansen

01 Acura Integra
Jared

Return to Solo Technical Help