18X10.5 Rim - Appropriate Tire... Need Advice

Technical discussion related to autocrossing.

Moderators: mjcmini, omahasubaru

18X10.5 Rim - Appropriate Tire... Need Advice

Postby onekyoung » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:07 pm

I am looking to shod my 18 X 10.5s with a bit more appropriate shoes. My choices seem to be very limited :cry: I am looking to get into something in a 295-315 flavor. Any suggestions? I am looking for a nice stiff sidewall so DRs are out.

The only tire I have really found so far are the Kuhmo MX. Any suggestions?
Aarion Type N
91 Talon M4, 03 Cobra ESP
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... " - Dr. HS Thompson
onekyoung

Re: 18X10.5 Rim - Appropriate Tire... Need Advice

Postby Jan Gerber » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:48 pm

onekyoung wrote:I am looking to shod my 18 X 10.5s with a bit more appropriate shoes. My choices seem to be very limited :cry: I am looking to get into something in a 295-315 flavor. Any suggestions? I am looking for a nice stiff sidewall so DRs are out.

The only tire I have really found so far are the Kuhmo MX. Any suggestions?

What kind of tire are you looking for? AutoX gumballs? Something Street Touring legal? Just some tires to drive around on?

The Kumho MX's are a nice tire. I have them on my Civic. Work well when warm (unlike Azenis) and I see them on heavier cars (like Mustangs) quite often.
Jan Gerber
2011, 2012, 2016 RallyX Stock AWD National Champion
2006 EVO IX (Thanks Steve!) ~> Stock AWD RallyX
2002 BMW 330Ci ~> "das Kampfmesser" in the DS gunfight
2011 Mazdaspeed3 ~> GS
Jan Gerber

Postby onekyoung » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:59 am

I will be running ESP (wheels too wide for ST and I think the forced induction powerplant exceeds the max of ST - 4.6L factory SC'd). I am looking for something that will hold up for awhile to daily driving but still stick OK on an AX course (with ~400 or so ponies on tap). I have Kuhmos on my Talon and they didn't seem too bad.

It seems that I do not have a great deal of options unless I want to spend 400+ per tire :x

The options that I have looked at thus far are:
Kuhmo MX - most economical, but only comes in 295
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT
Yokohama Advan Sports
Toyo Proxes RA-1 - Probably would wear very quickly. Not a wise daily driver choice.
Toyo Proxes T1R - A wiser choice for treadwear, but only come in the 295

I find myself wondering if I should use the widest tire I can (335) for the greatest amount of contact patch (debatable) or go with a 295 or 305 that should keep the tire / wheel profile in realtive harmony.

The 275s (Riken Raptor- 300 tw) that I have on now look pretty funny on a 10.5" rim. I am currently having a issues with wheel spin even in perfect conditions. I am hoping that a larger, more appropriate width and stickier rubber will help alleviate this somewhat.
Last edited by onekyoung on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aarion Type N
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... " - Dr. HS Thompson
onekyoung

Postby z28cp » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:14 pm

What kind of car would these be going on??
Dave Z
Camaro 2.0
CP 29
There is no such thing as too much power, or too much traction.
z28cp

Postby onekyoung » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:44 pm

z28cp wrote:What kind of car would these be going on??

03 Ford Cobra w/ IRS... depending on the size I end up with I might have to run some small spacers (damn IRS, she's a bleesing and a curse), but I would like to stay away from spacers if possible :pray:

If I was running 17s, spacers would be a necessity.
Aarion Type N
onekyoung

Postby omahasubaru » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:04 pm

Something to consider when purchasing your first set of r-compounds.

Try and find used or look for previous year model tires.

Hoosier has some good prices on the previos A3S05's still
https://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm

Or even considering a r-compound that isn't the current top tire is good. I need something other than the Hoosier A6 or Kumho V710. The other V700 offerings from Kumho would suit you well or even some of the softer more road race oriented compounds from Hankook and Toyo would be an ok place to start. Although the latter options may not warm up if you go really wide since we don't run in heats. Something else to take into account when looking at tire size.

used/older model tires are great for a first time r-compounder especially if you're only looking to race at a regional (local) level. '07 will be my first year on r-comps and I'm taking my own advice on buying a batch of used A3S05's from a friend in KC.

Just wanted to toss in a could cents on a semi related subject.

EDIT: Just noticed you want a dual purpose tire... YIKES good luck. Now if you mean only transit to/from events, then I'd look at the Toyo RA-1's or the Hankook Z214's in the softer c-50 (IIRC) compound. I've heard good things from track guys on the Nitto NT-01.

If you're thinking all out street (summer) tire that you can daily drive... then your options will be somewhat limited.

I'll poke around if I get some time and see if I can find anything interesting/useful.
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Postby onekyoung » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:16 pm

GotCone? wrote:
If you're thinking all out street (summer) tire that you can daily drive... then your options will be somewhat limited.

I'll poke around if I get some time and see if I can find anything interesting/useful.

As always, I appreciate the help :D

If I hit a point wherein I am hankerin' for R-comps I will just snatch up some old 17s so I can have a dedicated rim/tire set. For now an all around is my chosen path.
Aarion Type N
onekyoung

Postby omahasubaru » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:02 am

Your rims may be too wide if you're on a budget.

Speaking of which... how much are you looking to spend per tire? That's a lot of meat, especially for a street tire.
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Postby onekyoung » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:02 am

I can get Kuhmo MX 295s for about 225 a pop. I would like to stay away from anything more than 300 clams per tire.
Aarion Type N
onekyoung

Postby John » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:54 am

The kumho MX seems to be a good dual purpose tire for street/autox on mustangs. Azenis 615's seemed to be liked as well. I don't have all the tech and preferences memorized but there's a lot of good reading on various boards such as corral.net and corner-carvers.com.

Seach on the corral in the RR/Autox forum.

I think Grass Roots Magazine did a comparison of several different tires that you may find useful. Don't have a link but maybe someone else does.
John Williams
#89 CP
John

Postby omahasubaru » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:34 am

Hey Aarion... saw this on sccaforums and thought I'd mention it to you.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/232083.aspx

Won't last you all season, but at least you could try them out.
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Postby onekyoung » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:43 am

Thank's for the heads up. With the shipping and 2/32 tread left I think I'll have to pass on the deal... especially since I got back way, way less on taxes than anticipated :cry:
Aarion Type N
onekyoung

Return to Solo Technical Help