FS-What upgrades are allowed?

Technical discussion related to autocrossing.

Moderators: mjcmini, omahasubaru

FS-What upgrades are allowed?

Postby shaqer74 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:32 pm

Here is what I have read and believe to be true...Please tell me all you know that is allowed and not...

First a question, are subframe connectors allowed?

Allowed...
Upgrade to front sway bar
double adjustable shocks
any DOT approved tire that fits on a stock size rim

Not allowed...
strut tower brace that attaches to firewall

Thank you!
Jeremy Schacherer
1986 Mustang GT
shaqer74

Re: FS-What upgrades are allowed?

Postby omahasubaru » Tue May 08, 2007 3:03 pm

Updated your list.

Allowed...
- Front swaybars and their mounting can be changed/removed
- adjustable shocks with no more than two adjustments
- any DOT approved tire that fits on a stock size rim
- any stock size diameter and width wheels, but must retain a +/- .25" offset/back spacing variance.
- cat-back exhaust

That's about it for stock class cars. LINK to rules: http://scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/2007SoloRules.pdf

They are pretty clear, for the most part. If it doesn't say you can... you can't.
Jon D. Simmons
omahasubaru

Postby z28cp » Tue May 08, 2007 5:13 pm

Jon pretty much covered it.

Strut tower brace is only allowed if it was stock on the vehicle from the factory. No aftermarket strut tower braces allowed in Stock, whether it attaches to the firewall or not.

DaveZ
z28cp

Postby John » Tue May 08, 2007 7:39 pm

First a question, are subframe connectors allowed?

Subframes would not be allow on your '86. To my knowledge there is no TSB or update/backdate that would allow you to add them. Adding them would move you to SM or CP.
John Williams
#89 CP
John

Postby shaqer74 » Wed May 09, 2007 8:58 am

Since I have subframe connectors installed and will not remove them. I need to switch my focus to another category. Sounds like SM is where I need to be. Thanks for the feedback.
Jeremy Schacherer
1986 Mustang GT
shaqer74

Postby z28cp » Wed May 09, 2007 11:32 am

Sorry, missed the subframe connector question the first time. John is 100% correct, subframe connectors are a big no-no in Stock, Street Prepared, and Street Touring.

That leaves you with Street Mod, Prepared, or Modified classes. So, either SM, C Prepared, or E Mod.

SM cars still retain their interiors, but can do a lot of suspension upgrades, retaining the stock mounting locations. And there are numerous engine mods allowed(including super-and turbo-chargers). CP cars are usually gutted interiors, suspension mods, including being able to relocate mounting points. And virtually any engine mods(excluding super-and turbo-chargers), as long as the engine belongs in the car. E Mod, pretty much do what you want, as long as it still looks kinda like the original car, and the engine is still in the correct end of the car.

We have a reasonable number of local folks that run in SM and CP, although the results from this last weekends event don't show it, due to the weather. I don't believe we have anyone locally that normally runs E Mod.

Regardless of where you end up running, go out and have fun! It's about as much fun as you can have in your car, with your clothes on! :D

DaveZ.
z28cp

Return to Solo Technical Help