Tool Time: Thinking of buying a press...recomendations?

Technical discussion related to autocrossing.

Moderators: mjcmini, omahasubaru

Tool Time: Thinking of buying a press...recomendations?

Postby kallikak » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:24 pm

I think I'm starting to get to the point where I need to invest in more tools :) One thing I've needed several times in the past and will need access to soon is a shop press. Immediately, I need to replace a rear wheel bearing in the MR2 :( Stupid parts that only last 20 years/158k miles...

I've farmed press-work out before, but I'd like to have one at my disposal. I want something that can handle this sort of work in the future; wheel bearings, ball joints, suspension bushings, etc.

I'm thinking of going with this 12-ton unit from Harbor Freight. Is there any reason this wouldn't be suitable for such purposes? Is 12-ton big enough, or should I go for the 20-ton? Thoughts are appreciated.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=33497
Mike White

1994 Mazda Miata
73 STS

2000 Nissan Sentra
73 SF
kallikak

Postby z28cp » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:39 am

I'm all about overkill when it comes to tools, but for $120 difference, I think I'd stick with the 12-ton. For 99% of home users, it will be plenty of press.

My .02
Dave Z
Camaro 2.0
CP 29
There is no such thing as too much power, or too much traction.
z28cp

Postby vincere » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:45 am

I have a Harbor Freight 6 ton press and its enough for anything you have listed. I did suspension bushings several times and it easily did these. The biggest thing is to get the right plates so you can do what you want and that there is sufficient clearance to get your parts into the press. I have the smaller A Frame model and you are welcome to borrow it if you want to try one out. It should fit inside the trunk of a car.
Dave B
vincere

Postby kallikak » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:46 pm

That's a pretty nice offer of you. I'd like to borrow it, and if it seems satisfactory, pick up one for myself later. Thanks!
Mike White

1994 Mazda Miata
73 STS

2000 Nissan Sentra
73 SF
kallikak

Postby dfink » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:51 pm

You have seen and used mine. I would suggest you get one like it. The adjusability of the rack gives the clearance that is sometimes needed. If I remember we had that one adjusted all over the place. Also correct on the getting a collection of plates and blocks. Something I am lacking. By the way you know you are welcome to mine anytime. Wait untill harbor freight has one of their 50% off sales. That is the time to get the bigger items like the press or tranny jack.
David Fink
85 Porsche 911 Cab
Cabriolet Racing And Performance
Put some C.R.A.P on and go.....
dfink

Postby kallikak » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:12 am

Appreciate the offer, Dave. I might have to take you up on that and wait until HF has some really cheap specials. I just spent the evening getting the carrier off, and that bearing is definitely shot. Air tools made this side a lot easier than the other time I did it. Once I get the seal from Rock Auto, we should be good to go. I always like hanging out at the shop, too. I'll get back to you when the seal comes in.
Mike White

1994 Mazda Miata
73 STS

2000 Nissan Sentra
73 SF
kallikak

Return to Solo Technical Help